Is it legal for a 17 year old to runaway?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal for a 17 year old to runaway?

I am currently 17 years old, turning 18 in 6 months. Is it legal for me to move from my mom’s to my dad’s house without my mother’s consent? They currently have joint legal custody.

Asked on July 11, 2018 under Family Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The "age of majority"  is the age at which an individual is legally considered an adult. In MI that age is reached at 18.  At that point, minors cease to legally be considered children and assume control over themselves, However, prior to that age, legal control over and responsibility for the child remains with their parents. Specifically, in your case, your living arrangements are dictated by the terms of the custody agreement. If it states that you are to live with your mother (and this can be the case even with joint custody), tn to change that arrangement, both of your parents would have to agree to it or your father would have to go back to court to have the custody agreement amended.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption