Is it Illegal to take pictures of someone’s house and/or the person?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it Illegal to take pictures of someone’s house and/or the person?

If someone is on their property and their neighbors are taking pictures of their house and/or them is this

illegal? There are minors that live in the house, 3 to be exact. Is there a possibility that taking pictures of the house and posting the house and information is endangering the minors and can be used to make a case?

Asked on September 27, 2019 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not illegal take photos of real estate or people so long as the photos were taken from someplace the picture-takers were legally allowed to be (e.g. a public street or their own property). To oversimplify somewhat: if you can legally see it from where you are, you can photograph it, including other people or their property. And if you can photograph it, you can post it or share it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption