Is it illegal to put a stop payment on a post-dated check?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it illegal to put a stop payment on a post-dated check?

I gave my landlord post dated checks for the last 5 month of my lease. Unfortunately, my wife got ill and could no longer work. I had to move out 1 month prior to the end of the lease. I gave the last month’s rent at the begnning of lease. So I put a stop payment on the last 2 month’s checks. He is saying that is a felony and is threatening me by calling the sheriff. Is he correct?

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A stop payment is different from a charge of check fraud or uttering and publishing. Check fraud exists when you present a check for payment knowing that you do not and will not have the funds to cover the amount of the check. A person who accepts a post dated check accepts it on their own will and accord. A stop payment is where you contact your bank (who will charge you) and request a stop payment of a check. Unless there was some form of misrepresentation, fraud, or false pretenses in your dealings with the checks, then I see no criminal liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption