Is it illegal to enter a domestic partnership with some one if yhu are currently married to some one else

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it illegal to enter a domestic partnership with some one if yhu are currently married to some one else

I’m currently married to a girl I no
longer want to be with an I’m with some
one new an I want to enter a denestic
partner ship with because right now I
don’t have the money to divorce the
other person

Asked on November 22, 2016 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is illegal. While a domestic partnership is not the same thing as a marriage, it is very similar, and you may only have 1 spouse or domestic partner at a time. Nothing, however, stops you from living with the new girl; from renting or owing property with her (though your share of anything you buy could potentially be reached by your wife in a divorce); having a joint bank account (though again, your share is vulnerable in a divorce); giving her, and getting from her, a POA and health care proxy to give each other legal rights to make decisions for the other; drawing up wills living your property to each other; etc. You just can't marry or be domestic partners while still married.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption