Is it illegal for my husband’s employer to eliminate his position so he would be able to terminate child support owed to me and then rehire him?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it illegal for my husband’s employer to eliminate his position so he would be able to terminate child support owed to me and then rehire him?

My ex-husband was paying child support to me. His employer eliminated his position and he immediately filed for unemployment and a child support conference to terminate child support. Support was terminated and I had to give up my arrears or face paying his mortgage. I only get to keep arrears if he takes me back for child support. If I do, I lose it. I also am still responsible for health insurance for him and our 2 children. His company rehired him within a month. Is there some kind of law where this is illegal? His employer is not the most trustworthy and I’m betting that they set this up to get rid of child support. What are my options and what can I do? If I can somehow prove this was a set up what will that do?

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The employer is not subject to your divorce agreement or order, or any settlement orders, and is not bound by them,and also was not a party to your dirorce; the family court has no power of the employer. Even if the employer did this to help their employee, that is--for them (the employer)--legal. Your ex, however, could suffer sanctions or punishment for acting to defraud not just you but the court, too, by trying to escape a court order or a court-approved settlement. Speak to a family attorney about getting your support reinstated and also about what sactions you can look to try to impose on your ex.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption