Is it illegal for me to sign but not date an application for employment?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it illegal for me to sign but not date an application for employment?

The corporation my wife works for supposedly lost all of their employees documentation and is making everyone re-file all their employment information, including background checks and drug tests that we have to pay for. On the application was a note saying do not date this document. The document also states penalties for false entries on the document. Are we doing something illegal by not dating the application?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is nothing illegal per se to not date a document that you have signed based on the question that you have asserted. However from a practical matter, it is always good practice to date any document that one signs or initials.

By not dating the document you signed, there is no false entry done with respect to it. There simply is no date by your signatutre. I would date the document you re-sign and ask for a copy for your own records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption