is it illegal for an employer to change my timecard to a later time than the time i actually clocked in?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is it illegal for an employer to change my timecard to a later time than the time i actually clocked in?

i came to work and clocked in at 245 and a week later i ask one of my
manangers to see my hours and i noticed my hours were changed so we
did a video audit and saw i actualy did clock in at 245 but the store
mannager changed it to 430

Asked on June 18, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

it is against the law for an employer to change a timecard if the change is not accurate. There are times when an employer can make such a change in order to correct an error, made either by the employee or by the employer, however, the employee must be notified. That having been said, if the change is designed to shave off time for hours worked, the employee needs to notify their employer in writing and ask for it to be fixed. If the employer refuses to do so, then the employee can file a wage claim complaint with their state's department of labor and/or consult with an employment law attorney. Further, if they are terminted for this, they will notonly have a claim for the unpaid wages but also for retaliation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption