Is it illegal for a minor to DRAW pornography?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it illegal for a minor to DRAW pornography?

My friend is 14 years old and I am trying to convince him that drawing and sharing pornography is production and redistribution of child pornography and illegal.

Is this true? Please cite official legal documents if you can.

Asked on June 23, 2019 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Child pornography is not pornography by a child but pornography involving children or minors. If he is drawing and sharing a porn image that is obviously adult women or men, then it is not child pornography and not illegal, but is very unwise. When you put a porn drawing out on a public forum, such as the internet, they last and are findable/searchable forever, so you don't want a college, an employee, a significant other, etc. in the future to find this.

If he draws people who could be or obviously are minors, then it would be child pornography and he would potentially be subject to criminal liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption