Is it correct for a beneficiary to be asked to fund a Trust?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it correct for a beneficiary to be asked to fund a Trust?

My mother has passed away. I am being asked to find a Trust out of pocket so that the executor can freely use money to pay off bills and sell our mother’s house. The money he wants me to use would be coming from an account set up for me. There’s a retirement account that I am a beneficiary of. He says I have to cash out my account and then endorse the check to the Trust. This doesn’t sound right to me. What is the wisest course of action?

Asked on October 28, 2019 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) If a trust has insufficient funds to cover costs or expenses or debts, beneficiaries can legally be allowed to ask to contribute, but it would be voluntary for them to do so, and at a minimum, should involve the trustee sharing all relevant data with them about the trust's finances, obligations, etc. so they could decide whether to do this or not. For example, if there is a home in the trust and you will be able to live there, but there are tax or mortgage arrears, it's not illegal or unreasonble to ask you to help fund them so you can keep the home--but you wouold not have to; you could decide it's not worth it.
2) If there is sufficient funds in the trust to cover obligations, etc., then trust funds should be used for this purpose. So again, before asking for contributions, the trustee should show what money there is, where any money went, etc. so you can make an informed decision.
3) A trustee or executor has not power to change a will--none. Only the deceased can change his or her will and obviously, if he or she is deceased, that can't be done--so the will cannot be changed. This mistatement suggests that the alleged need for funds may not be legitimate, but rather that your brother may be wasting or diverting funds.
If your brother won't share the financials of the trust and/or estate with you and you are not satisfied with what is going on, then bring a legal action (lawsuit) against the trust and/or estate and the trustee/executor "for an accounting"--that is, to have the court make the trustee/executor "account for" whether he is following the directions of the will, being careful with the money and assets, not benefiting himself at the expense of the beneficiaries (i.e. you), etc. This kind of action can complex for a non-lawyer; you are advised to retain a probate lawyer to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption