Is it considered stealing property out of a car in my name.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it considered stealing property out of a car in my name.

Divorced since March 2019. His car is in my name, my car in his. I got the car in his name in divorce. He got car in my name in divorce. The car he got in divorce is registered to me. Am I able to be arrested for taking items out of the car that is titled and registered only in my name, which he was awarded in divorce but still registered to me? There is no proof these items were ever in the car. It’s also 2 straw hats, 2 shirts both from a promotional event, which were free for attending, and a couple pictures that were in my house, in which I was awarded everything in the house.

Asked on May 11, 2019 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Property being in a car does NOT make that property the property of the car's owner; rather, the personal items in the car belong to whomever they belong to, regardless of car ownership. You may take anything in the car that is indisputably yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption