Is it considered blackmail if my former employer refuses to release my final pay to me?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it considered blackmail if my former employer refuses to release my final pay to me?

I recently quit my job, and due to unforeseen circumstances I could not make it to my last shift. I had notified a manger about the situation but they failed to notify the general manager. She is now threatening to withhold my final pay, even though I gave a 2 week notice because I did not speak/notify her directly. There is also no contracts, nor anything in the provided employee handbook that stipulates that she can do so. Is it considered blackmail if she is threatening to do so, and what can I do about this situation?

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is probably not blackmail or extortion per se, among other reasons because it seems that she is not actually trying to extort anything or any behavior from you--she's just trying to punish you.

However, it is still illegal: an employer has no right to withhold lawfully earned wages for a reason like this (or indeed, for almost any reason; even when the employer has a cause of action against the employee--such as for theft or destruction of property--it generally must pay wages, though it may also sue for the damages). Therefore, you may sue the employer and the supervisor herself for the money or wages which you earned and which they refuse to pay; you may wish to consider a suit in small claims court (representing yourself) to reduce costs. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption