Is is possible to be evicted if children or medical problems are involved?

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is is possible to be evicted if children or medical problems are involved?

Asked on November 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Neither having children or a medical condition is grounds for postponing an eviction. Landlords cannot have tenants who are in breach of their leases stay without paying (I assume that nonpayment is the reason for your trouble). They have bills to pay too. The fact is that a lease is a contract and once broken legal action can be taken accordingly.

For a tenant's part, their protection is that before they can physically be removed from a rental premises, they need be served proper notice to quit and then be allowed a hearing in housing court, etc. At that point, if a judge sides with a landlord and issues them a writ of possession, only then can a tenant be forced to vacate. This whole process can take several months or more.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption