Is communication required between the mother and father of a child?

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is communication required between the mother and father of a child?

My daughter is 1 and her father lives in Pennsylvania. I have custody of her, not by court order. A child support order has been ordered as of 3/09. I feel no need to have little if any communication with my daughter’s father. If I chose to not communicate (or to have very minimal communication) with him, might this “count against me” should he or I choose to actually file for custody in the court system?

Asked on March 24, 2009 under Family Law, Ohio


Denise Ferguson / Denise Ferguson Attorney At Law

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It depends on what you mean by have little if any communication as well as whether paternity has been established. Ohio has a presumption of joint custody and if custody is filed, dad may very likely be awarded joint custody so that you will have to communicate with him. You should communicate with him about his child -- if she is hospitalized, if you are moving with the child, and various other important aspects. You do not have to best friends. Legally without court orders you don't necessarily have to communicate at all however if you were to move without letting him know and he filed for custody, he could win by default if he filed and served you at your last known address. There are issues that arise. Truthfully more details would be necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption