Is child support exempt from a bank levy?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is child support exempt from a bank levy?

My question is about the money in the account and what is exempt from the levy. We already know we can claim 75% of his wages that had just been deposited into the bank account but we were wondering if my child support which is paid to support my minor children is also exempt? I can not find it listed as an exemption. However, when I have searched on the internet about it I have found that most websites state that child support is one of the items exempt from the levy. Is this true?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Family Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, monies deposited in a judgment debtor's bank account ear-marked for child support paid from the other parent under a court order is exempt from levy under a bank levy. The key is to not mix together child support payments with one's other monies when one is a judgment debtor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption