Is Annulment possible

UPDATED: May 11, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is Annulment possible

I am American. I married a Chinese woman in May of 2015. She spent 3 weeks with me and rejected me. I have not seen or heard from her since. Are there any grounds for annulment?

Asked on May 11, 2016 under Family Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to get an annulment. Generally, abandonment is not cause for annulment, though certainly you can divorce due to it. However, "marital fraud" is cause for annulment, and one type of fraud is lying about why you wanted to get married--e.g. wanting to get married only for immigration or residency reasons, when your spouse though you actually loved and wanted to be with him. In this case, the abandonment may be evidence of such marital fraud. You are  advised to consult with a family or matrimonial law attorney about the situation--you'll want a lawyer's help in filing for an annulment, anyway (or in getting a divorce, if an annulment is not granted).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption