Is an international student legal after his I-20 expires but his visa in his passport is not?

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is an international student legal after his I-20 expires but his visa in his passport is not?

I am an international student on F1 Visa. My I-20 expires in about a month. However, In my passport my F1 visa is for 5 years 2010-2015. Will I still be legal after expiry of my I-20?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

NO, you have to be maintaining your student student through a valid I-20 in order to be in status.  Your visa is of absolutely no consequence because it is a document to ENTER the US; it is not a document that determines your authorized stay in the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption