Is an immigrant student on F1 Visa allowed to stay without being a full-time student if they are waiting on the university?

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is an immigrant student on F1 Visa allowed to stay without being a full-time student if they are waiting on the university?

They have taken classes necessary to graduate. However, the school will not finalize graduation until a later date due to a technicality (the last class, a summer class ends later than the cut-off date, so official graduation is postponed for another 2 months). Therefore, the immigrant cannot be a “full-time” student while he/she waits for the university.

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Immigration Law, Michigan


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As long as the university supports your being in the US, it should be fine for you to remain lawfully until you graduate.  What are your plans post graduation in terms of your immigration status?  Are you planning to remain in the US and pursue more studies or employment-based visa?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption