Can an employer release information to an employee’sparent about their sexual orientation?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer release information to an employee’sparent about their sexual orientation?

Employee is 23 years old and mother called HR requesting information and updates on employees situation.

Asked on June 6, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First of all, it's unclear why the HR rep would have information about the employee's sexual orientation at all. While neither federal nor MO law specifically protect sexual orientation in employment, 1) having this information, if negative action is taken against the employee, could in some circumstances trespass on a protected category, like sex or gender; and 2) it's not easy to see what relevance this has to the employer.

Second, since it's not unreasonable that someone might want to keep his or her sexual orientation quiet or private, it could give rise to a legal claim for violation of privacy if the information is revealed. Also, the company has NO obligation to give the employee's mother any information, and is ALWAYS better off not disclosing information about its staff except when it has to. For these reasons, while it's not certain that the company could not release the information, it is very unwise to do so, and since the company doesn't have to, it shouldn't.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption