Is an atty needed to remove someone from a deed

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is an atty needed to remove someone from a deed

Thank you for taking my question. My wife and
I are together currently on a deed to a home in
Virginia. We have no plans to divorce or
separate. But in order for her to help her
daughter with a particular financial issue my
wife needs to be removed from the deed. Is
this as simple as a quit claim or is it more
involved? What does one do with the quit claim
form after completing it? Thank you very much.
Michael 6

Asked on October 25, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is as simple as a quit claim deed IF there is no mortgage, HELOC, reverse mortgage, etc. on the property, and all that would have to be done is to file the quitclaim with the county--the county clerk's office can provide instructions about how to do this.
If there is a mortgage, etc., then the ownership may not be changred in any way without first paying off the loan; changing ownership without doing so would be a breach or violation of the loan agreement and the loan's remaining balance would immediatley become due in full.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption