Is the at-fault driver responsible for my loss of employment due to our auto accident?

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is the at-fault driver responsible for my loss of employment due to our auto accident?

Asked on December 9, 2013 under Accident Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Very possibly, if the loss of employment is both foreseeable as a result of the accident and reasonably unavoidable. For example: you lose employment because you work as a truck driver but your left leg and right arm were badly broken so you cannot shift (i.e. not drive)--in that case, you should be able to collect for lost income.

On the other hand, say that you are member of "Geek Squad" and you say you lose income because you don't have a car and can't drive to customers' houses--a court would conclude that that is an avoaidable loss, since you could rent/lease/buy a new car, and so not give you lost income.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption