Is aggravated stalking plead down to a misdemeanor considered “moral turpitude?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is aggravated stalking plead down to a misdemeanor considered “moral turpitude?

In GA.

Asked on February 17, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Why are you asking specifically?  Does it have to do with voting rights?  It is my understanding that Georgia does not define "moral turpitude" as other states have.  In 1983, the State Attorney General admitted that the State could not come up with a specific working definition of "moral turpitude" and guessed that any such definition might be linked to current (and constantly changing) public opinion. He then suggested that the Board broadly define "moral turpitude" and consider all felonies crimes of moral turpitude for purposes of granting clemency and restoring civil rights to felons.  So with a misdemeanor you seem to be "safe."  Check with your attorney to be sure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption