Is a Warranty Deed and a Personal Representative Deed the same?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a Warranty Deed and a Personal Representative Deed the same?

We had a contract for deed for our property. The owner passed away and her estate ended up with the county Public Administrator. The contract called for a warranty deed when paid in full. Since it was being handled by the P.A., it had to go to a judge to have it settled after we paid the property off. That court order directs that a warranty deed to be issued.In the end we received a

Asked on November 13, 2017 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A warranty deed warrants certain things that are important when title is transferred, such as title free and clear, the grantor's right to convey, etc.  A Personal Represntative deed is one that can only be given in a probate proceeding but it may not contain those warranties.  I would bring the deed to an attorney to review to let you know what is or is not in the deed. Only reading it can one be sure.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption