Is a lawyer needed for a first time offense MIP?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a lawyer needed for a first time offense MIP?

While my friends and I were attending a concert, there were 3 empty bottles in the back of the car. I was charged with possession of alcohol by minor, they did not breathalyze. Does a first time offense matter in this case?

Asked on August 10, 2018 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Any time you are charged with a crime you should at least speak to a lawyer, and an MIP is a crime. It can carry serious penalties, as well as leave you with a criminal record. At this point you have options available to you but it would not be to your advantage to choose one of them without knowing about all of them. This is why under most circumstances, the worst thing that you can do is to plead guilty. It is in your best interests to consult with a local DUI attorney to discuss the specifics of your case and advise you further. There are categories of evidence that can be considered by a lawyer for a first-time DUI offender to determine whether or not there are any defenses available. Further, many attorneys offer a free initial consultation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption