Is a landlord required to give a tenant a copy of their lease if they lost the one originally given to them?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a landlord required to give a tenant a copy of their lease if they lost the one originally given to them?

I am the landlord of a home that some renters recently moved out of. They are now threatening to “sue” (take me to small claims court) to get their deposit back after leaving my home in a horrible condition. Their deposit was $950 and the damages done are over $1,500. They would like me to send them a copy of the lease (they were originally given one at the time it was signed) I don’t feel comfortable about sending it to them just to “aid” them in “suing” me.

Asked on June 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay I can understand how you might not be inclined to send them the lease but in reality they are going to sue you based upon the tenancy (I am assuming that they can show payment of rent each month and the security deposit) and the Judge could order it produced anyway.  Now, if you are justified under the law for withholding the security deposit - and I would check the law on it and follow it to the "t" - then you have nothing to be fearful about.  Just make sure that what ever notice that it is required that you give the tenant about the with holding is given and that you have proof to support your documentation of the damage.  If the lease states how you are to give them notice that is different than the law do both.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption