Is a judgement still dismissable if it occured before I filed for bankrupcy but is not listed in my bankrupcy schedules?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a judgement still dismissable if it occured before I filed for bankrupcy but is not listed in my bankrupcy schedules?

I’m trying to buy a house and the title company found 2 judgements that I didn’t know about; 1 is in my paperwork and 1 is not. The judgement is dated 1 year before I filed. Can I still get it dismissed? The company in the case is no longer in business so I can get any info from them.

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your bankruptcy has not received a discharge and you have discovered a judgment against you, you need to list it on your schedule to possibly get a discharge. If not listed, you might need to amend your bankruptcy to include the judgment.

If you cannot amend the judgment against you, you ultimately will have to pay it off. I do suggest that you speak with your bankruptcy attorney about the judgment that you just discovered while you were attempting to buy your home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption