Is a failure to stop at a stop sign considered a traffic infraction?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a failure to stop at a stop sign considered a traffic infraction?

I have been on an 18 month deferred sentencing based on an older ticket that I got and one of the stipulations on the deferred sentencing is that I shall not have any violations of the law accept traffic infractions. Just recently I was cited for a failure to stop at a stop sign and I am wondering if that ticket is going to effect that stipulation?

Asked on September 10, 2019 under General Practice, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Failure to stop at a stop sign is a traffic infraction and not some other kinds of offense (e.g. disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor or felony, etc.). The vast majority of driving violations are traffic infractions: generally, only those involving injury to others or property damage, or DUI, might be other kinds of offenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption