Is a” Decision Pending Entry of Final Judgment” a legal document?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a” Decision Pending Entry of Final Judgment” a legal document?

I went to court on 06/14 and signed a Marital Settlement Agreement. I received a signed copy of the Decision Pending Entry of Final Judgment. In this document it was stated that I should receive certain amounts of money in 30 days. I have received nothing and I feel as if I am getting the run around from my attorney. I cannot afford to keep calling/emailing him with my questions. I have no more money to give. What do I do now? Is this ok that I have received nothing?

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Family Law, Rhode Island


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I can understand your frustration.  The signed copy you receives, was it from the other side?  Then they were just serving you with the decision.  The issue surrounding the final judgement has to do with the entry of the information in the court system.  In other types of decisions - like those based upon a motion argued before  a Judge - the entry date is a kind of clock that starts the ticking of certain rights as between the parties and the courts, such as time to appeal, etc.  In your case it probably starts the clock ticking for payment.  Does the agreement state that the payment will start when the agreement is served or when the agreement is entered or some other time?  Keep in top of things but give it some time and then inquire.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption