Is a civil marriage in the US valid in European countries after3 years of being apart?

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a civil marriage in the US valid in European countries after3 years of being apart?

I was married in the 3 years ago in the US; we were together for 2 months and then we split up. Ireturned back to my country (Greece) without getting a divorce. Since I left we have never had any communication and I don’t know anything about him. Now I want to marry my new fiance with a religious wedding. Is it OK or are there any legal issues?

Asked on January 17, 2012 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well congratulations on your new relatioship but I would hold off on getting married just yet. You are legally married to the guy in the US unless he has divorced you with out your knowing. So I would do my best to try and locate him and see what is what. And I would consult with ana ttorney in your country about how to obtain a divorce there from your husband here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption