Is a car dealership allowed to force me to fill out a financing form when I am buying the car straight out?

UPDATED: May 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a car dealership allowed to force me to fill out a financing form when I am buying the car straight out?

I was basically intimidated into filling out an official auto financing form from the dealership, even though I bought the car straight out. I was told that if I didn’t fill out that form they wouldn’t sell me the car. The only reason I didn’t walk out of there right then and there is because I had been looking for that car in that price range for a while and needed it. I also had no clue that cashier’s checks could even be cancelled, especially not over the phone.

Asked on May 20, 2012 under General Practice, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you were not "forced" to fill out the form--there was no illegal coercion, threats, or pressure from what you write. Instead, it appears yuou were "intimidated" into filling out the form, because they wanted you to and said they need you to in order to sell you the car. That would be legal--you had the right to simply walk away if you didn't like their terms or business practices, and the fact that you "needed" the car or had been looking for one like this for a long time does not matter. Adults are responsible for the transactions you enter into and contracts you agree to; when you don't like the terms, trust the other party, and have any misgivings, you are expected to either negotiate better terms or not enter into the transaction. You cannot sign some document or agreement, then use the fact that you felt "pressured" as grounds to later modify or rescind it.

If you are a minor (less than 18), then you may be have grounds to rescind the contract (return car, get money back) since, depending on your exact circumstances (e.g. emancipated or not), you may not have been able to enter into the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption