Iowa Name Change

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

An Iowa name change is easier than you might think. Once you complete the form, all you have to do is file it with the right court with the appropriate fee and you are well on your way. Let us help with some useful information about the process.

What forms are required for an Iowa name change?

The State of Iowa does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Iowa State Code for more details: Iowa State Code Chapter 674- Changing Names

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Iowa?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

No.

Is there a filing fee for an Iowa name change?

Yes. There is a $100 filing fee. A fee waiver may be obtained with a sufficient showing of financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

No.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

No.