Iowa Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

An Iowa name change is easier than you might think. Once you complete the form, all you have to do is file it with the right court with the appropriate fee and you are well on your way. Let us help with some useful information about the process.

What forms are required for an Iowa name change?

The State of Iowa does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Iowa State Code for more details: Iowa State Code Chapter 674- Changing Names

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Iowa?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee for an Iowa name change?

Yes. There is a $100 filing fee. A fee waiver may be obtained with a sufficient showing of financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?


Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?


Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption