Investment Property with partner.

UPDATED: May 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Investment Property with partner.

My brother in law and I want to buy an investment property. Do we need to form a formal partnership to do this?Also, he does not want to lose his first time home buyer status. Is there a way to purchase a property with him so that he retains that status.Lastly, I am a sole prop of a business. Am I able to buy the property with my business and still have my brother in law involved.What would we need to do to make this happen?

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Here is what you need to do:

You want to form a limited liability company with both you and your brother in law as 50-50 members (i.e. you each own 1/2 of the company).  The mortgage company will require a personal guaratee on the loan (i.e. personally liable if the LLC fails to pay the mortgage).  If you are able to qualify for the loan without needing your brother in law to also sign a guarantee, then the LLC be the borrower and you will be the co-signor/guarantor and your brother in law will not have any record of taking out a loan where it will affect his first time home buyer status.  I would keep your business separate from the LLC so that god forbid the property is not a success, the bank cannot come after your personal business.  I would also put your sole prop business in an LLC so that you limit exposure there too.  I suggest that you have a lawyer help setting up these entities and doing the real estate purchase.  Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption