What to do about an invasion of privacy by my employer?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an invasion of privacy by my employer?

My family was experiencing severe financial difficulties. I went to the HR department at work and initiated a hardship withdrawal from my 401k. HR was sending an email to the 401k bank containing information about my financial difficulties including information about the impending eviction from my home but sent it to all employees of the company by mistake. I know several of my co-workers read it for they have asked me what happened. Is there cause for action here?

Asked on March 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There probably is no cause of action. When something is done accidentally, or by mistake--rather than deliberately--there generally is no liability except for actual losses or damage (like losing a job or membership in some organization). Typically, there is no recovery in cases of negligence (carelessness) for simple embarassment or emotional upset. Therefore, unless you can show some economic loss or other material consequence from this mistake, there is nothing you could recover in a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption