International law

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

International law

My partner in Latvia received money from me for a specific device he was building for me. The agreement was I sent him for the device he was going to build and ship by November 1 2018. Since today he is extorting money and making excuses that he is still working on it and unless I continue to pay him he can’t send it to me because it still not finished. If I sue him in the US he obviously will not come can I enforce a US court judgment on him in Latvia? He has collateral in Latvia, how can I collect?

Asked on February 10, 2019 under Business Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It appears that Latvia will enforce foreign judgments (that is, judgments from the courts of other countries, like the U.S.) under the country's Civil Procedure Law Chapter 77. As to how to enforce them, the proper procedure, how effective that enforcement is, the cost to enforce, etc., you will have to consult with a Latvian law firm/attorney, or law firm with Latvian offices. A good idea would be to look for a firm with offices here and Latvia: that will likely be the easiest and most cost effective route to explore.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption