What rights does a copyright owner have?

Under the United State’s Code Title 17 section 106 (copyright law), copyright owners have a number of exclusive rights such as the right to reproduce the work in copies of phonorecords. Under copyright law copyright owners also have the exclusive right to prepare derivative works based upon the work.

Can I use someone else’s copyrighted work?

Copyrighted work may be used with the copyright holder’s consent or for certain purposes by people other than the copyright owner under the Fair Use doctrine. The Fair Use doctrine allows reproduction for specific and limited purposes such as criticism and comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

What is a copyright?

A copyright offers protection for original works of authorship. Copyright protection affords the author of a copyrighted work with specific rights that the author can give or sell to others or keep for him or herself.