UPDATED: Feb 26, 2020

The Unum Group, one of the nation’s leading disability insurers, has been named the second worst insurance company in America by the American Association of Justice (AAJ) for its long reputation of delaying and denying claims. Only Allstate ranked worse. To learn more about the report which names the 10 worst insurance companies in America, click here.

Unum’s bad faith insurance practices

Unum has been accused of many bad faith insurance practices and has a history of delaying and denying valid insurance claims. In fact, according to the AAJ report, some of Unum’s former employees have said that they had been ordered to deny valid claims in order to save the company money. Internal documents referencing the company’s desire to implement cost saving policies have been discovered that corroborated the former employees’ claims.

FreeAdvice.com survey: 36% of Unum customers very unsatisfied

According to customer satisfaction ratings on FreeAdvice.com, 36% of Unum’s customers are very unsatisfied with the insurer. Here’s how survey respondents rated the insurer:

Extremely Satisfied: 0%
Very Satisfied: 9%
Somewhat Satisfied: 45%
Unsatisfied: 9%
Very Unsatisfied: 36%

Customers posted the following comments about Unum on the website:

• “Unum will do everything in their power to deny your benefits. They will engage you in months and months of paper work, doctors’ reports which they will say they never received or are not satisfactory. It is impossible to get through their hierarchy to reach a supervisor. They are listed as one of the largest insurers in the US. Yet, they [have] been successfully litigation against them and a class action suit in the millions. They have given me nothing but heart ache, while I am already diagnosed with 3 serious and documented medical problems. “
  • “I got denied for short term without much explanation. They have dragged out the appeal process by saying they never received information. They have also denied two other people that work with me. They are quick to take your money but not give it back!!!”
  • “They will do anything they can not to pay your claim.”

If the Unum Group has denied your valid claim or rescinded your policy, it may have acted in bad faith. Contact an attorney whose practice focuses in this area of the law. Consultations are free, without obligation and strictly confidential.