What is my next step if my insurer has denied a claim for an accidentin which I was at-fault?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my next step if my insurer has denied a claim for an accidentin which I was at-fault?

My insurance denied my claim and appeal for an auto accident I was found at fault for. I am now receiving letters and calls from the other driver asking how I will pay for their vehicle’s damage. I have no assets and work a middle wage job with a family to pay for. What is my next step?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Accident Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your insurance carrier is denying a claim against you for an automobile accident and the driver of the other side is contacting you about his or her damages, you should consult with an attorney who practices insurance law or an attorney who works in the area of contract interpretation.

It seems strange that if you have insurance for your vehicle and you were involved in an auto accident that your insurance carrier would not be defending you as to the claim regardless of fault for its cause.

I would also call your insurance representative to ascertain the specific reasons why your insurance acrrier does not seem to want to defend you concerning the auto accident that you are writing about.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption