What to do if a doctor failed to check daily glucose levels for an insulin dependent diabetic in a nursing home?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a doctor failed to check daily glucose levels for an insulin dependent diabetic in a nursing home?

Resident in a nursing home insulin dependent diabetic. Doctor did not check daily blood glucose for 8 months; resident was just given their existing insulin dose every night for 8 months. Now his sugar is very high and he is on 3 different types of insulin. Was also told by doctor that there is a different protocol for people in nursing homes with diabetes; they don’t want to cause pain by checking blood glucose. Is this against the law? Should I speak with a medical malpractice attorney? In Knox County, TN.

Asked on January 7, 2011 under Malpractice Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should definitely speak with a medical malpractice attorney in your area on the matter.  Consultations are generally free so you have nothing to lose and only something to gain.  Be aware that many jurisdictions have very strict laws on bringing a medical malpractice cases.  They can generally be some of the most difficult to prove and prosecute.  But the information in your question raises a red flag.  Medical protocol should not really change because the person is a resident of a nursing home. Medical protocol is medical protocol. For a physician to tell you what he did, well, it is unbelievable.  And the injury to the resident is obvious.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption