Injury claim amount for me and my mother

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Injury claim amount for me and my mother

My mother and I were rear ended in my car. The other person was 100% at fault. We both had back issues that were treated by a chiropractor and massage. Treatment lasted 9 to 12 months. My mother has resently had to return for a couple chiropractic treatments that she has had to pay for herself. Neither of us missed work. There was minor damaged to the car that has been paid. How much compensation should we expect after the medical has been reimbursed?

Asked on June 5, 2009 under Accident Law, Washington


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If the accident was minor, don't expect a lot.  It used to be that insurance companies would offer 3-5 times the amount of the medical bills, but they have really tightened up on that in recent years.  It still, in part, depends on how much was spent on medical care, but they will only base it on what they believe is "reasonable and necessary teatment".  Usually, 9-12 months of chiropractic care for soft tissue injuries is viewed as excessive, even by the chiropractic community, unless there were pre-existing injuries.  Probably something in the neighborhood of $2000-4000 would be reasonable, and that would likely get you an offer in the range of about $8000-10,000 minus the bills than the insurance company has already paid, if any.  Hope that helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption