What are my rights regarding an injury that I suffered at work?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding an injury that I suffered at work?

I was working on my own as a lorry driver delivering furniture to shops and

retail. I was trying to move furniture about and had an accident and badly injured my shoulder, which I had to have an operation on to repair the damage. This happened around 9 months ago, however its not strong enough to go back to work. I am meeting with my employer today to move the situation forward. I know that I can’t go back as I will do more damage to shoulder. What do I say or do I wait to see what they say?

Asked on February 25, 2016 under Personal Injury, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you can't do your job, your employer is not obligated to retain you: the law doesn't make employers keep employees who cannot work, including for medical reasons. However, you may be entitled to worker's compensation, if injured on the job, and may be eligible for disability. There are attorneys who specialize in such claims; you are advised to speak with one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption