Injured-medical bills- loss of wages

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Injured-medical bills- loss of wages

Injured at relatives home helping move furniture. I need surgery and will be
unable to work for 2-3 months. I have health insurance w high deductible and need
a paycheck to make ends meet. What are my options?

Asked on January 14, 2018 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless your relative was at fault in causing the injury (for example, he dropped furniture on your leg and broke it; he had a loose stair which moved under your foot as you carried something heavy, and that caused you twist your back) you have no recourse: neither your relative nor his homeowner's insurance is liable (or responsible) for your injury (medical costs; loss wages) unless he was at fault in causing the harm. A homeowner is not liable for injuries simply because they occured at his property; there must be fault for him to be liable, and his insurnace only has to pay if he was liable.
It is not his responsibility that you need a paycheck, unless, as stated, he caused the injury.
If he was at fault and will not voluntarily provide compensation, you could sue him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption