Injured a friend

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Injured a friend

I was snow sledding last Christmas with
some friends. I purposely ran into one
of them and she suffered a concussion.
She is still having problems and said
she may have to quit her job to fully
recover. I’m worried shes going to sue
me. Could I possibly lose my house?
Would my health insurance cover
anything? It was on a city owned hill.
Not my house or her house.

Asked on October 31, 2018 under Personal Injury, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Since running into your friend was intentional, you could be sued for assault and battery.  Your friend could recover damages for her medical bills, pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills) and wage loss.  She could also seek punitive damages which are a substantial amount to punish your intentional wrongful act.  Your health insurance would be inapplicable.
She could sue you, obtain a judgment against you and enforce the judgment with a lien on your house. A lien on your house would have to be paid before you could sell the house.  She could seek a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption