I a beneficiary of an estate cannot be found, how can the other beneficiaries get the money released?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I a beneficiary of an estate cannot be found, how can the other beneficiaries get the money released?

I am part of an inheritance that includes many family members. This has been held up for some time due to the fact that one of the people cannot be found. A private detective was even hired to find this person but there is no information if this person is living or dead. This money is being held by a law firm in at this time. What can be done to get this money released?

Asked on January 20, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the entire distribution of an estate is being held up due to the inability of the law form to locate one of the beneficiaries, what needs to be done is for the law firm representing the estate to file a petition with the court allowing for a partial distribution of the estate's assets to the known beneficiaries.

In the petition, the court will be asked to allow a distribution of estate assets to the known beneficiaries and the share of the estate of the one beneficiary who cannot be located will be held in a trust account bearing interest assuming his or her share is cash.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption