UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My father setup a living trust but I have no idea what the provisions are and if I am entitled to anything because he may have made me a beneficiary and I forgot or never was given that information. I’d like to look into this since his untimely death last year and may be entitled to assets through inheritance he laid out when he passed away.

Asked on September 13, 2018 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  So unlike a Last Will and Testament, Trusts do not have to be filed with a court in order to follow the deceased wishes once they pass. So in a licing trust the assets that are placed in them are trasnferred to beneficiaries at the time of death.  If you are a beneficiary you should have receiived a copy of the Trust document even if you were not a beneficiary since you would have inherited under intestacy (dying without a Will).  Are you sure there was no estate probated?  Check the Probate Court in the county in which your Father resided at the time of his death.  It is a public record.  Then you may have to seek legal counsel to try and force a copy of the Trust from your Mother if you believe that she is the Trustee.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption