UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My terminally ill life partner is leaving me all of his belongings this is noted in his will. Would it be better to have him sign the title to his vehicles over to me now or hold off and transfer the titles after he expires?

Asked on August 20, 2018 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  I strongly suggest that you sek legal help with this matter ASAP.  From an attorney in your area.  If you partner is terminally ill you need to make sure this is all done while he or she is still legally competant so that no one can contest anything.  That being said, transferring property can have tax ramifications if they are considered gifts where as inheritance the estate pays the taxes, if any.  Adding names to title with rights of survivorship is a way to estate plan but the laws as to same differ state to state.  Have witnesses to EVERYTHING you do.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption