What constitutes indecent exposure?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes indecent exposure?

Does wearing a thong swimwear in public constitute a crime? Short shorts that show ones the butt;  nothing else going on just minding ones own business. Should I speak with a criminal lwaw attorney? In Okanogan County, WA. 

Asked on November 12, 2010 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

According to the law in the state of Washington, indecent exposure is defined as follows:  intentionally making any open and obscene exposure of his or her person or the person of another knowing that such conduct is likely to cause reasonable affront or alarm.  So it depends on the actions and it also may depend on where you walked around.  The crime is generally charged as a misdemeanor but can be a "gross misdemeanor" if the exposure is to a person under 14 and it can also be a felony under certain circumstances (prior convictions and other offenses).  Yes, seek legal help in your are on the facts of your case.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption