What to do if there is a discrepancy in an independent contractor’s salary payment?

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if there is a discrepancy in an independent contractor’s salary payment?

I provide ESL instruction to individuals for a company. I was told compensation is based “per client, per hour” unless I am assigned a “group” by HR and accounting. 3 times a week I provide instruction for 2 individuals at the same time. I ask for verification for each invoice; which I received and was compensated per client. Now, the company claims that I owe them for half of those hours. They informed me that they will be deducting this from my next paychecks, leaving me without an income for more than 1 month. I am not trying to take money I am not owed; I did what I was told. Is this legal?

Asked on April 20, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A contractor needs too be paid per her contract (including an oral or verbal agreement). If there was an accidental overpayment (e.g. paid incorrectly or paid for too many hours), the company engaging their services may seek the return of that money. Technically, they can't arbitrarily deduct it from the next payments unless the contractor agrees; but if the contractor doesn't agree, they may choose to not employer her in the future unless there's some contract requiring they give her a certain amount of work. Also, if the contractor won't agree to a reduction or "give back" or offset against overpayment, the company could try to sue her for the funds due. Therefore, IF the reduction is legitimate, it's probably best to work out some payment schedule.

However, if you disagree that that you owe this money and you can prove that you worked and billed as per their instructions, they should not be able to recover it--as a contractor, if you did what you were told, you should be paid according to the instructions and agreement.

Also, a bigger issue may be that you might not be an independent contractor. If the company has substantial control over where, when (including hours), and how you do your job, it may be that you are an employee; if so, you may be eligible for overtime and benefits, they may have to pay the employer share of FICA for you, etc. Go to the Dept. of Labor website; you should be able to find information about when an "independent contractor" is really an employeel. If you think this might be the case, you may wish to consult with an employment attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption