What should I do regarding incorrect information on a traffic ticket?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do regarding incorrect information on a traffic ticket?

My son got a speeding ticket for going 80 in a 55 mph zone. The officer however wrote up the ticket using my name and driver’s license information as the violator instead of my son’s since I own the car and the insurance is in my name. I wasn’t even in the car at the time. What do I need to do here? Ask for a court date and plead

Asked on October 2, 2016 under General Practice, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your son will admit to having been the driver and speeder, show up for court, speak with the prosecutor and describe what happened--bring your son to collaborate your story and take responsibility. While it will likely take a brief hearing before the judge, the court should be wiling to dismiss as to you and will likely (though not necessarily) re-issue a ticket to your son (there is a chance they will elect to drop the matter entirely). 
If you son will not accept responsibility, go to court, speak to the prosecutor, but then you will likely to plead guilty and have another date scheduled for the trial. You and/or the prosecutor will likely have to subpoena your son  to appear and testify, so the court can, in the trial, determine who was the speeder.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption