income tax deduction

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

income tax deduction

My employer has not deducted enough taxes for last year and I had to pay significant amount when I filed tax return. When I asked my employer I was told that I’m responsible for amount deducted and I need to tell them how much I want them to take off. It has never happened to me before. All of my previous employers always deducted right amount, even little more so I didn’t have to pay the next year. I have never heard that employee should be responsible for correct amounts. My understanding always was that any deduction dependent, expenses, etc. should be deducted when tax return is filed. I would appreciate if you could explain my rights so I can talk to my employer and avoid the same situation I had to experience this year.

Asked on April 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that your employer is right, it is your responsibility to make sure that the W4 on file with them is correct and that the deductions made are the right ones.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption