What to do if in a Will it states that the executers should not be paid but now they are charging the estate?

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if in a Will it states that the executers should not be paid but now they are charging the estate?

For the last year and a half, both executers told us that they were not getting any compensation. However, now we have been notified that one of them is getting approximately $9,000.00 and the other $48,000.00. Is this legal?

Asked on September 21, 2014 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would absolutely file an objection with the court.  If the Will states that they are to serve with out being paid statutory fees then they accepted the position with that limitation.  Understand, though, that if their services required them to work over and above signing papers etc., then they can apply for statutory fees and the court can award them.  But you should have received notice of that application.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption