If I co-signed a loan for my daughter’s car and she has an accident, is there any way I could be sued?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I co-signed a loan for my daughter’s car and she has an accident, is there any way I could be sued?

They put me first on the application to get her better interest rates. They also have added me on the title.

Asked on October 19, 2013 under Accident Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter is at fault in an accident, you would be liable for the accident because your name is on the title to the car. 

You would be liable for property damage to the other vehicle(s) in the accident and personal injury claims of the occupants of the other vehicle(s) who were not at fault in the accident.  The personal injury claims would include the medical bills, pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills) and wage loss.

If the case is not settled with the insurance company of the party who was not at fault in the accident, you will be named as a defendant in a lawsuit for negligence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption